Skip to content
  • Insurance
  • Locations
  • Reviews
  • Support
  • About
  • Get a Quote
  • My Account

Flood Insurance coverage can save you even if you’re not considered high risk.

We all know the weather is unpredictable. It's not only wind and hail activity that causes damage to your personal property. Water damage is often the cause of damage from flooding. 


Why Flood Insurance Coverage Is Necessary

Homeowners insurance doesn’t cover water damage from floods. So the homeowners were responsible for replacing their belongings and repairing the many thousands of dollars of flood damage out of their own pockets. You may be wondering about relying on the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) flood assistance with building coverage and for replacing your personal property in the event of unexpected flooding. Unfortunately, there are several misconceptions related to FEMA flood assistance. FEMA is an important agency that does provide assistance. However, there are limitations. According to, if you live in a flood zone and have a mortgage, your lender will likely require you to carry flood insurance. FEMA disaster grants have a limit of $36,000. That may be insufficient for both building coverage and to replace your personal property. In some instances, you may be eligible to receive up to $200,000 to rebuild or repair your home or repair your personal property, but you may be required to pay the money. FEMA flood assistance is simply not a replacement for flood insurance.

What About Flood Insurance for Low-Risk Areas?

If you’re told that you live in a low-risk flood zone, your lender may not require you to have flood insurance. You may be told that your home and personal property are at little to no risk for water damage. Yet, when that happens, it’s too late to do anything about it. 

Yet, flooding due to a natural disaster isn’t the only way that personal property could be damaged. Water heaters are another concern. A water heater that bursts can flood your home and cause unexpected water damage to your home and your personal property. It is very important to read your homeowners insurance policy to know whet r it  covers flood damage caused when your water heater breaks.

How to Get Flood Insurance for Building Coverage

Flood insurance for building coverage and water damage to your personal property is not included in homeowners insurance but is a separate policy issued by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Also, some private insurance companies offer flood policies.

Most independent insurance agents (like Comma Insurance) can provide you with a quote for flood insurance. Since policies are offered under a federal government program, pricing has been standardized.

NFIP flood policies offer:

  • Replacement cost coverage for structures up to $250,000, which pays to rebuild your home.
  • Actual cash value coverage up to $100,000 for personal possessions. 

If your home or possessions are valued above those limits, your Comma Insurance agent can provide you with insurance quotes for additional coverage from private insurance carriers.

One thing to keep in mind about flood insurance: there is a 30-day waiting period from the time you apply for flood insurance until coverage takes effect, except in the event of a new home purchase.

It is also important for you to keep track of what you own. If a flood washes away your prized collection or a fire destroys your furniture and clothes, a home inventory will provide you with the information you need to process your claim quickly and replace those items. To help you make that as easy as possible, you can download a free app by visiting

Get Your Flood Insurance Quote Now

Contact Comma Insurance today to protect your home against floods and other weather-related disasters. Call 405-225-2820 to learn more about what is covered by flood insurance. Let us help you protect the life you’ve built and find an insurance policy to fit your needs.